Upper back pain
What is upper back pain?
Upper back pain is less common than low back pain or neck pain, and it’s caused when the discs between the vertebrae begin to deteriorate or are deformed.
What causes upper back pain?
- Overuse, muscle strain, or injury to the muscles, ligaments, and discs that support your spine
- Poor posture
- Pressure on the spinal nerves spinal nerves from certain problems, such as a herniated disc
- A fracture of one of the vertebrae
- Osteoarthritis caused by the breakdown of cartilage that cushions the small facet joints in the spine
- Myofascial pain that affects the connective tissue of a muscle or group of muscles
- In rare cases, pain may be caused by other problems, such as gallbladder disease, cancer, or an infection
Common symptoms of upper and middle back pain are:
- A dull, burning, or sharp pain
- Muscle tightness or stiffness
- More serious symptoms that need to be treated right away include: weakness in your arms or legs, numbness or tingling in your arms, legs, chest, or belly, loss of bowel or bladder control.
Your pain physician should be able to determine the cause of pain with appropriate diagnostics, which may include a comprehensive physical exam, MRI, CT scan, or X-ray.
- Medial branch blocks (MBBs): Medial branch blocks are a minimally-invasive, non-surgical treatment used for arthritis-related neck and back pain.
- Epidural steroid injections: Epidural injections are often used for degenerative disc disease and other pain syndromes.
- Facet injections: These minimally-invasive injections can temporarily relieve neck or back pain caused by inflamed facet joints.
- Selective nerve blocks: These are used to help your practitioner identify which nerves are causing your pain.
- Discography: Discography involves the use of contrast dyes to obtain a detailed image of intervertebral discs.
Administration of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, or ibuprofen-like drugs), acetaminophen (Tylenol), muscle relaxants, and membrane stabilizing medications is often effective in treating upper back pain.