Many of our patients returning to care recently have noticed something a little different about me… I’ve gotten a little bigger but it’s not the typical quarantine fifteen. While many have found new skills by baking bread or growing their gardens I’ve been busy growing a baby! Being pregnant during a pandemic has certainly been an interesting ride, but it has given me an opportunity to focus on mine and baby’s wellbeing, and part of that is staying pain free and prepping this body for childbirth. As a first time mama-to-be and a chiropractor, you can be assured that I have been enjoying my self care routine with prenatal yoga, pelvic floor and core exercises, massage therapy, physical therapy, acupuncture and you better believe chiropractic care!
Prenatal chiropractic care has the potential to make a huge difference in your pregnancy and how you experience childbirth. It is estimated that at least 50% of pregnant women experience back pain during their pregnancy, and 50-75% experience back pain during labor. Because many medications are not safe to take during pregnancy, many women are left not sure what to do. Manual and wellness therapies like chiropractic, physical therapy, massage therapy and acupuncture are some of the best possible ways to take care of your body during pregnancy, but also will help prep your body for labor and delivery! Here are the fast facts about the benefits of prenatal chiropractic:
- 75% of pregnant women who received chiropractic care during pregnancy experienced relief from their back pain
- Women who sought regular prenatal chiropractic care had an average of 25% shorter labor times.
- Chiropractic care throughout pregnancy can decrease odds of experiencing back pain during labor.
- The Webster technique, a popular prenatal chiropractic technique, addresses imbalances that cause pelvic imbalances and have been shown to aid in the repositioning of a breech baby, and therefore decrease rates of c-sections. (see below for more information about Webster technique)
- Chiropractic care helps to treat and manage musculoskeletal pain that pregnancy can cause, making it easier to tolerate exercise. Exercise during pregnancy is linked with better energy, less stress, less weight gain, more restful sleep, shorter labors, easier delivery and faster recovery postpartum!
The Webster Technique is a popular prenatal technique among chiropractors to treat pelvic and sacroiliac joint pain, as well as addressing something called “Intrauterine constraint” AKA any force on the uterus that obstruct normal movement of the baby. It includes a specific sacral adjustment and a release of certain ligaments, to release tension in the pelvis and uterus. The Webster protocol reduces the effects of SI joint dysfunction, low back pain, back labor, and facilitates neuro-biomechanical function. Because the webster technique protocol removes the uterine and pelvic constraints, it creates an optimal environment for the baby to move naturally and position itself head down. Even full-term breech babies have been turned vertex using this method. Even if your baby is already properly positioned, the Webster technique is incredibly helpful in making sure your pelvis is properly aligned to assure an easier exit for your baby (easier labor and delivery for you!) For more information on the Webster Technique, check out the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association.
For more information, or to experience prenatal chiropractic care for yourself, please reach out to us at 646-873-6434 to schedule an appointment!
Make wellness a part of your health care routine by booking your appointment now. Book Now Same day appointments and procedures available.