A dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scan is a non-invasive way to precisely measure your body fat percentage, lean body mass, and skeletal muscle mass. This service is ideal for those who want to learn more about their body composition to make lifestyle changes to lose weight, build muscle, or strengthen bones.
Hudson Medical Group offers the DEXA scan and can work with you to meet your specific nutrition, weight loss, and muscle-building goals based on scan results. Read on to learn more about the benefits of a DEXA scan and how you can book a consultation with us to receive this or our many other preventative treatments.
What Are the Benefits of a DEXA Scan?
A DEXA scan delivers body composition measurements far more accurately than those produced by other commonly used methods. For instance, body mass index (BMI) measures body fat using your height and weight. Often the BMI yields inaccurate results, given how this calculation doesn’t take into account pounds of muscle mass versus pounds of fat. The X-ray technology used in a DEXA scan is far more accurate at telling you exactly how much body fat and muscle mass you have at any given time.
A DEXA scan is also apt at determining whether you may be at risk for osteoporosis based on your bone density. Osteoporosis affects an estimated 200 million people worldwide and is more prevalent in women than in men. The International Osteoporosis Foundation reports that osteoporosis will affect one in three women aged 50 years and older and one in five men at some point in their lifetime.
Here are other benefits associated with a DEXA scan:
– The procedure is non-invasive and requires no anesthesia.
– The procedure itself takes no longer than 20 minutes.
– DEXA scans provide you with a visual image of where your body fat, muscle mass, and bones reside in your body.
– DEXA scans help you learn how you compare with others in your age group by body fat percentage.
– DEXA scans can accurately predict your risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
– DEXA scans can help you and your medical provider determine whether you may need treatment for osteoporosis.
– Side effects from a DEXA scan are rare.
– DEXA scans can make you aware of whether you should improve or change your diet and/or your workout routine to meet your health and weight loss goals.
To learn more about whether a DEXA scan is ideal for you, make an appointment with one of our providers at Hudson Wellness. Our team at Hudson Wellness has extensive experience with this unique service and can discuss its benefits in greater detail during your appointment.
Contact us today at 646-882-6278 to schedule a consultation or request a consultation online. Our wellness providers remain on standby to answer your questions about our many wellness services.
Make wellness a part of your health care routine by booking your appointment now. Book Now Same day appointments and procedures available.